Friday, September 22, 2006

Daddy, where do Democrats come from?

I don't typically talk about my family here but let me intro this one by saying that I am definitely my father's daughter. Reading is not a way to pass time for me, it's a hardcore hobby. I read everything I get my hands on. Even to the point of my own detriment, reading while driving, losing sleep, etc. My father, being slightly more discriminate, generally limits himself to the news. That being the case, my dad isn't like other people who email catchy forwards with cool or funny messages. My dad sends me news briefs. <---That's hardcore people! So basically, this post is courtesy of my dad. Like many a well-intentioned Bollywood film, this article, unintentionally made me laugh. Here are some choice excerpts:

GOP group's campaign ad says Democrats started KKK

In the ad, the woman goes on to say, "Democrats passed those black codes and Jim Crow laws. Democrats started the Ku Klux Klan." Her companion replies, "The Klan? White hoods and sheets?"

The ad asserts that "Democrats want to keep us poor while voting only Democrat" and "Democrats want us to accept same-sex marriages, teen abortions without a parent's consent and suing the Boy Scouts for saying 'God' in their pledge."

About the Republicans, the ad says: "Republicans freed us from slavery and put our right to vote in the Constitution."

HA-HA! How fabulously scandalous! Nothing like some good mudslinging during a political campaign! Sounds like gossip off of E! Entertainment Television. Let me say, I'm not loyal to either party. When examining history, how could you be? At the same time, I'm guessing the folks who made the commercial know most Gen X/Yers did not pay attention in history class and would miss the transition from fact (Jim Crow laws) to speculation (keeping "us" poor).

Hey, no harm no foul. Sometimes Democrats need to be reminded where they come from...

1 comment:

Susania said...

"Let me say, I'm not loyal to either party. When examining history, how could you be?"

AMEN!

I'm personally struggling with a conservative upbringing and certain core faiths that are traditionally Republican... yet am finding myself more and more interested in environmental issues and certain civic freedoms.

I was a History major. It's amazing how much more balanced your politics tend to be when you have that underlying view of time. "There is nothing new under the sun..."