Sunday, September 03, 2006

Bombay (1995)

Ok, I won't make any sweeping generalizations about South Indian film based on the few I've seen but I will say that Mani Ratnam has a knack for keeping it grounded.

A few things I noticed:

  • Manisha Koirala's character is ridiculously docile and submissive. (I’m not hatin’. I’m just sayin’.)
  • LMAO on grandpa putting a tikka on the twins' heads when he sees the in-laws coming!
  • The song with the kids asking for a baby is TOO cute!!
  • Man in sari = scary! (I love how the kid is not the least bit freaked out though...)
[On a personal sidenote, I have to admit, my biological clock kicked in this year—right about May or June I think—and I’m not doing well with really cute kids between the ages of 4 and 7. I want to throw them over my shoulder and run home with them! They’re still small enough to be cute but big enough to wipe their own butts. Cute & clean - very much my style!]

So y’all, I'm watching the second half of this movie on my way to visit my family for vacation and I’m about to cry at the airport. I really can’t watch a little boy get trampled AND then see him lose his brother! OMG!!! I had to push pause.

Also moving, were the scenes where they're walking through the hospital/etc. searching for the twins. It reminded me of the Angolan film, O, Heroi when people were in standing in lines, waiting for an opportunity to inquire about family members they could no longer find.

Random Question: What's that song they’re singing at the Hindu rally? This is the 3rd or 4th time I’ve heard it and I feel like I should be singing along...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>I want to throw them over my shoulder and run home with them! They’re still small enough to be cute but big enough to wipe their own butts. Cute & clean - very much my style!<<

I had a nice laugh over that:) [blog hopped here]
Have a nice day and happy blogging!

Movie Mazaa said...

What a huge hit the movie was!!! It was too big to be true!!

:)