Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Filmi Education

I'm a bit wary of revealing how few Bollyfilms I've seen, as the number is still less than 100. I mean, considering that several hundred films popup each year, I don't know why but I feel as if I'm lagging behind...

Thus, I am appealling for suggestions. FYI, here's the top 15 in my Netflix queue. (Double click to enlarge.)

Nonetheless, I present my list of Bollywood and otherwise Indian themed films in the order in which they were viewed:
1. Bend It Like Beckham (2002)
2. Monsoon Wedding (2001)
3. Dil Se (1998)
4. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)
5. Mohabbatein (2000)
6. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
7. Main Hoon Na (2004)
8. Khakee (2004)
9. Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon (2003)
10. Bride and Predjudice (2004)
11. Kaho Naa...Pyaar Hai (2000)
12. Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003)
13. Swades (2004)
14. Born Into Brothels (2005)
15. Raghu Romeo (2003)
16. Veer-Zaara (2004)
17. Devdas (2002)
18. Murder (2004)
19. Koi...Mil Gaya (2003)
20. Salaam Namaste (2005)
21. Black (2005)
22. Lakshya (2004)
23. Salaam Bombay (1988)
24. Lagaan (2001)
25. Kabhi Khabie (1976)
26. Sholay (1975)
27. 1942: A Love Story (1993)
28. Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000)
29. Water (2005)
30. Taal (1999)
31. Krrish (2006)
32. Bunty Aur Babli (2005)
33. Rang de Basanti (2006)
34. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)
35. Bluffmaster (2005)
36. Mississippi Masala (1991)

7 comments:

Indianoguy said...

this is a must watch for all Hrithik fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrDrPi1iKQ&NR

Movie Mazaa said...

Hazaaron Khwaaishen Aisi.
My Brother Nikhil.
Arth
Dil Chahta Hain...
Dil hain ke maanta nahin
aashiqui

and do get to see a few south indian movies too, when u have the time. there are quite a few stunning movies out there as well!

:)

t-HYPE said...

*indianoguy*
Most def! I've already seen all 6 parts. I love YouTube! (I really should stop scheming on Suzanne's husband. She seems like a really nice person...)

*tanya*
Thanks for sharing your entire library!

*velu*
I will most definitely check those out. As for South Indian films, you have my ear. I have very little idea where to begin!

Anonymous said...

For a change of pace, there is "The Mystic Masseur" a movie about Indo-Caribbeans in Trinidad during the 40's. Om Puri is a skeeming dad, and Ayesha Dharker (Of Bollywood Dreams and Star Wars) his daughter. I think it may be the only movie of its kind, besides documentaries about Indians in Trinidad, Guyana and Suriname.

Anonymous said...

I've spent my spring and summer devouring Bollywood (and some other non-Bollywood Indian movies). I'm up to 72 of them, and my list looks similar to yours.

A few good ones I've seen that you haven't:

Hum Tum
Dil to Pagal Hai
Raincoat
Earth
Satya
Chameli

The first 2 are light, while the others are "different."

Movie Mazaa said...

Am coming up with a list!!
:)

viplavi4shanti said...

hey, I noticed you don't have kabhi khushi kabhi gham on your list...it's got hrithik, and it's shamelessly tearjerking and over the top.

I watched fanaa recently and liked it as kajol's story, though politically, pretty bad. Nice songs though.

Worth watching some old classic Amitabh movies like Deewar, Amar Akbar, Anthony, Don, etc.

And other old classics
Mother India
Pyaasa
Kaagaz ke Phool
Awaara,
Guide



Some awesome non-Bolly films are Mirch Masala,
Anything with Shabana Azmi,
Anything by Satyajit Ray (highly highly recommended!)
Anything by Aparna Sen or Rituparno Ghosh (both bengali directors).

I think Alai Payuthey is a great starter for Tamil movies. Madhavan and Shalini have great chemistry in that movie...it's way better than Saathiya, the hindi remake.

I've heard that NVNV (don't ask me to spell it!) is a really good Telegu movie, which I can't wait to watch as my Telegu starter film because I adore Siddharth!

Malayalam films are really good too, though generally more serious.

I think in general South Indian movies, even though they are masala also, generally have a more down to earth feel to them which I like. But then I love Bollywood for the glam sham.