Monday, July 10, 2006

There are only two kinds of people in the world...

...those who stay and those who go. -- personal opinon!

Bunty aur Babli?! I absolutely loved this movie! While mostly improbable, the film is wild fun and avoids the dreaded love triangle--good stories go in, but they never come out...

The whole movie is rather silly and admittedly, I didn't see it in its entirety because the dvd I rented wouldn't play chapters 13-17 or so. (I believe I missed a saucy dance number! Our protagonists were married when I next saw them...) However, the 2.75 hours I watched were entertaining enough.

The first few moments of the film had me pretty good. I can't remember the last time I saw people dancing that hard. Futhermore, Rani's clothes in the first 15 minutes were killer. I could rock every one of those! The conversation Abhishek's character had with his father about not wanting to "just get a job," that's so me. Good is not good enough. I wouldn't mouth off at my parents like he did--black parents do not play that--but I can totally feel where he's coming from. Really, there are only two kinds of people in the world...

[Only negative: The film sent me into a funk for a day and a half due to present 'single' status. To be more precise, it's not the single status so much as the sense of loss made appearant by watching a film full of ridiculous behavior that reminded me of my ex. I always thought of us as Bonnie & Clyde. Short of criminal activity, we were always plotting adventure and getting stared at. Alas, that is all in the past now. I am however, accepting applications for the role of Clyde or Bunty, whichever you prefer but let's skip the jail and/or tragic death and/or breakup part. Shall we?]

Concerning the film, I finally understand why Ms. World added dear
Abhishek to her list. I've never really seen the fascination with him outside of his obvious lineage but it only took a blue sport coat and reflective sunglasses to change everything. Oh my! I thought to myself, while wondering whether Abhishek had been airbrushed or whether I was previously blind. At one point he was sporting a very pleasant gotee but I can't seem to find that photo anywhere so this one will suffice...

Stray notes: I read in Wikipedia that Hrithik was considered for the role of Bunty. While I'd scream, "I love Hrithik" with the best of them, I think Abhishek was a good fit. I mean, I know there are criminals who are really pretty but I think just pretty enough gives the character a slight edge. Also, I was NOT prepared for Big B at the end. While he is fabulous, he is still elderly. I nearly stopped breathing during the credits. I don't remember if it was the "rapping" or the "booty-shaking flygirls" that did the trick...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw B&B some time back, but somehow didnt fall for it, as the rest of the nation did. One thing that I wud wholeheartedly agree with, is ur statement ~ 'the whole movie is rather silly'.;) And coming from the Yash Raj house, the movie was indeed a surprise, and not much of a pleasant one at that.

I am not a great fan of Aishwarya, so Kajra Re (did u miss that dance number?) was not the greatest thing for me as well.
:(

t-HYPE said...

I have often heard Aish refered to as a "plastic doll" but I think she's a pretty graceful dancer. I mean, put her next to Kareena (who really can't dance) and it would be very obvious. Aish isn't my favorite--I prefer Kajol--but she is really pretty.

Anonymous said...

Hi I love yopur review of thye film. I caught first day first show of the movie and it was joyride:)
Aby Baby and the Big B were totally rocking!

Tanya
www.ourbollywood.com

Anonymous said...

I love Bunty aur Baubli...I love the songs probably more than the movie though!! I think Rani is a way better dancer than Ms Rai...although i am incredibly biased. I don't know, Rani just seems to be entirely more graceful..and even more charismatic. But i still love Aishwarya..you can't go past the fact that she's the most beautiful woman in the world!

Anonymous said...

Aishwarya has the most beautiful hands, which have been used exquisitely in Kajra Re. If that's the number you missed, just catch it up on Youtube or something.

If you watch any of the Rituparno Ghosh movies starring Ash (Chokher Bali, Raincoat), notice how often the camera lingers on her hands.

I really enjoyed B&B, inspite of the silliness, or maybe, because of it!

Anonymous said...

I saw B&B yesterday, and I liked it, maybe because it is soooo silly (and funny!). One of the best thing was that dance right at the start of the film, I loved it! And seeing Big B, and he's not The Patriarch as in K3G or Mohabbatein. And ugh, that noise when he stretches his neck...
Your review is great!

Anonymous said...

Yay B&B! I love it so much, it's definitely my favourite Bollywood movie of the ones I've seen so far. The beginning is wonderful, the song as well as the picturization. And I adore Abhi, mmm he's lovely.

Was Chup Chup Ke the song you missed? It comes after they get married, there's a couple of kisses in it!

t-HYPE said...

I finally did get to see it. And that was the song I missed! I was quite impressed...