Saturday, July 15, 2006

Black, White & Brown

Amardeep stirred up a little chitchat over at Sepia Mutiny over "Black Men & Asian Women," specifically those of the brown persuasian.

I found the topic personally interesting because I've never heard the Indian perspective on the whole thing. At some point, the topic flipped to Asian guys and black women. I know a few Asian guys (Filipino, Laos, Chinese) who holla at black girls (or are/were married to) but I've never seen a desi guy with a sista. At the same time, I do remember an older Indian woman at my church lamenting to me that her 30 year old son was still not married. Was that a hint? Still wondering...

The dialogue on Sepia Mutiny was mostly constructive with random moments of silliness. The last time I checked there were over 250 comments. Feel free to weigh in here if you like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, alot of the times when you think about interracial dating, you think of black and white, you don't really think of others. I think it's alright, especially if you want gorgeous kids! I can't imagine a more beautiful mix than a indian and an african, absolutely beautiful! I was talking abit about this with a Hong Kong friend of mine and we were talking about how CHinese girls like dating white boys, but Chinese boys don't really go for white girls...maybe it's a cultural thing? Or maybe it comes down to personal choice...like your fondness for hrithik roshan! I've always found african or indian boys really good looking...i don't know. I don't have a thing with black men and asian women, if that's what you like, go for it!

Anonymous said...

This kind of relationship happens in Trinidad and Guyana on a constant basis...I've heard of the term "dougla" refering to the offspring of a black and an indian. It's a derogatory term and I don't like to hear people use it. However, I have met a few Indo-Caribbean and they seem to live (in New York) in Richmond Hill, among themselves. It's all so confusing and I can only surmise that past hostilities are still a factor and that when the nightime comes, all so-called barriers are broken.