Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Personal Nature of God (Part I)

I had been wanting to jot down some notes about the personal nature of God for some time now. And after reading this post on angry Muslims, skimming over 150 comments on Sepia Munity and saying my piece today, I am finally motivated to complete the post:

I had been thinking on and off again about Jesus' first public declaration where he reads the words of Isaiah 61:

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God

Christ put himself in a very unique position. Here was the God of the Universe declaring that he had come to earth to give, to heal, and to free. Does anyone else on the planet find absolutely amazing? I’m still trying very hard to wrap my mind around that one.

One of the notable things about Jesus’ time on earth is the only time he displayed anger was with religious hypocrisy. [Link] He knocked down tables and scared the mess out of a bunch of folks at the local temple because they were using it to rip people off instead of for worship and prayer. The next thing he did was heal some sick people and hug some kids.

That's a God worth knowing and worth defending. Truth is, He is real and in the end, He'll defend himself.

No comments: