Thursday, March 29, 2007

Rules: Pyaar Ka Superhit Formula (2003)

Laws of attraction
Deliver easy success
And love left unproved
First of all, anytime a cute, girl-next-door type snaggs the devotion of a supermodel-of-the-year type, that's an instant 5-stars in my book.

If you've been reading the blog for a while, you may remember when I borrowed this and several others from friend Susan. (2 down, 4 to go!)

I came to the film with no particular expectations and was pleasantly suprised. It's awfully silly. I couldn't help but like it.

I kept thinking, "Git it granny!" when she started breaking down the rules. A girl's gotta have a plan! LOL! There was nothing unusual about the rules. It's all been said before. In fact, I agree with them all which is not to say that their foolproof. Complimenting anyone even if it isn't true can leave a nasty trail you'll have to deal with later. Furthermore, ignoring only works for supermodels, et al. Your average semi-nerdy guy would be happy to get a little attention at least.

Anyhoo, it is worth noting that this movie featured a vigorous tongue tussle between the two leads considering the fuss that was made over a half-baked kiss in Dhoom 2. Despite the film's alternative storytelling structure (3rd person/mockumentary), it's extremely easy to follow and all the more entertaining because of it. I loved watching all the peripheral characters fold into the main storyline by the end. It was a nice concept.

If you like fun movies, grab this, your comfort foods, and enjoy the watch.

7 comments:

naina said...

"First of all, anytime a cute, girl-next-door type snaggs the devotion of a supermodel-of-the-year type, that's an instant 5-stars in my book." LOL, I know EXACTLY what you mean. That's why I love One Tree Hill so much (don't laugh) -- the dorky plain jane valedictorian snags the hottie mchott captain of the basketball team. My kind of story!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I came across your blog while searching for a book, Black Like Me, and you had that phrase somewhere in in one of your posts. I read about how you got into Hindi Movies and Bhangra music. I haven't gotten to look at much else on your site but I was intrigued by what you wrote. I'm part Black and part Punjabi and I just think its cool you have such an interest in a different culture. Nice blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam! Glad you found the site.

One of these days you'll have to share how your lineage came together! Unless you're from Trinidad, I'm sure it's an unusual story... ;)

Anonymous said...

Not from Trinidad. My father's a Sikh from Punjab and considers himself Indian though my paternal grandmother was British. My mother was born and raised in South Africa and considers herself Black. My parents met while they were in college in France though I grew up in Brooklyn, New York.

I don't appear distinctively Indian or distinctively African-American. Usually, people can't tell what I am at all unless they see me with my parents and then they'll identify me as one or the other but can't see me as both at the same time.

So now you know.

Anonymous said...

How fabulously international!

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a very cool movie idea...
;)

Anonymous said...

Where did you go? Fug never takes a holiday, and Bollywood keeps churning out things that need commentary. Where is t-hype?

onlinearticles said...

First of all, anytime a cute, girl-next-door type snaggs the devotion of a supermodel-of-the-year type, that's an instant 5-stars in my book." LOL, I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Download hindi songs from http://music4urs.blogspot.com all rm files and mp3 files are free to download hindi songs