Thursday, February 08, 2007

Black History

February is Black History month here in the US. (The symbolism of the shortest month of the Roman calendar is hard to ignore but I don't complain because Native Americans get nothing but a hard time...)

If I were on top of my game, I would have done an inspirational post like last year. So much for that. Instead, I'll borrow someone else's writing. (Courtesy of Dad's News Service. Seriously, he should start his own blog...)

To think of America in 2007, it is impossible not to consider the contributions of African Americans -- many of whom have laid the foundation for American culture, democracy, freedom and equality...

So what does it mean that a country so flawed in its founding nonetheless produces such an accomplished population of African Americans?

...African Americans, like all Americans who work hard, who have talent, ambition and desire, and who possess the complex of values that make up the "Protestant Ethic," can make the most of the American Dream.

Quite naturally, given that the column is coauthored by Cornell West, the piece veers a bit into social policy. But the most interesting part for me was mention of The Jamestown Project, "a diverse action-oriented think tank of new leaders who reach across boundaries and generations to make democracy real." Judging by their website, sounds like they're doing some cool stuff.

On a less serious note, it's weird knowing that I grew up 20 minutes from Jamestown, the first American settlement, have been there on numerous field trips and still can't figure out why that Pocahontas cartoon looked like it did...

3 comments:

Indian Parrot said...

From January, the theaters that I go to(every week) play the coke ad which celebrates Black history month. You see different shapes of coke bottles with years and lines like First black man to go to south pole to MLK's dream.It is a very good ad. But for two weeks I was wondering what the heck does it have to do with coke, and was thinking that was a shameless marketing tool by coke. And then the third week two white kids sitting behind me after seeing this ad commented, "that was so f* random". !

Anonymous said...

I'm Christian and a new Bollywood fan. I have an adopted son whose multi-cultural background includes Afro-Caribbean. (Mine is Canadian by way of Great Britain a couple of centuries ago). I'm starting to become interested in race issues as a result. Can you imagine how glad I am to have stumbled across your blog? Thank you so much for everything you write!

t-hype said...

Awww anon, that warms my heart!

I'm also glad to hear you're doing your homework. Adoption is a special situation as it is and the transracial element adds the need to be as open and informed as possible.

Email me if you like for links to a few transracial adoption blogs I read.

Don't be a stranger!